Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Fables Vol. 1: Legends in Exile by Bill Willingham and Lan Medina



How could I have passed this series over over the years? That is what I keep asking myself. I have only read the first one and I am soooooo hooked, and I hear it only gets better. Sweet!

Premise: Fairy Tale and Fable characters living in our world after having to flee theirs years ago. Who's in charge? Who's still married? Who is still trying for a fairytale ending?

Things I like about it:

1. The storyline did not insult my intelligence. It held my interest through decent plotting and and decent use of timeline.

2. The characters are well written out with enough of their past written in to make me curious to read more.

3. Artwork - for the most part really good. The cover was really deceptive and I think that this was the main reason I passed it over since it came out.

Things I don't like:

1. Obviously, the cover. Now that I read it I understand it better, but it was a turn off and yet again... a lesson in never judging a book by it's cover.

2. Some of the artwork inside seemed a bit inconsistent. One view would have men with five o'clock shadows, the next nothing. Their placements and POV were different, but it was something that bothered me. It also happened later on with a woman's dress.

Now for my absolute favorite thing about the volume - I loved the short story at the end. I am not going to go into details about it because I don't want to give spoilers. But, it was incredibly well written, giving the whole thing even more depth. It provided a wonderful insight into the two main characters, and introduced one that I very much look forward to reading more about.

To Buy or Not To Buy: Absolutely Buy if you like graphic novels.

Special Thanks to Ian at Rebel Base Comics & Toys www.rebelbasecomics.com

No comments:

Post a Comment